San Francisco - Photo by Mitch Altman
Considering moving to an LGBTQ friendly community? Then you would certainly want to consider the coastal city of San Francisco. San Francisco ranked the highest for LGBT-friendly cities in a 2015 study reported by TIME Magazine. According to the study, 6.2% of residents in the metropolitan area of the city identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. This may not sound like a high percentage but it is 2.6% higher then the national average. For anyone that is familiar with San Francisco's colorful history, vivacious social scene and spirited LGBTQ political activism, this comes as no surprise.
It's here, in the beautiful Bay Area, that you will find The Castro District, which is famously described as the first gay neighborhood in the United States. The Castro District is famed for having LGBTQ owned businesses, The Pink Triangle Memorial Park, the Castro Theatre, the Rainbow Honor Walk (which pays tribute to LGBTQ advocates with individual plaques displayed on the sidewalk). San Francisco is also known for its iconic LGBTQ events, celebrations and parades such as San Francisco's PRIDE festival, and the Castro Street Fair.
In addition to everything that San Francisco has to offer to the LGBTQ community, according to a new report published by Business Insider, rent in SF is at a 6 year low, calling it a "tenant's market". Renter's in San Francisco, for the first time in years, have more leverage to negotiate with landlord's pricing, with rental prices decreasing 3.2 percent from August 2019 to August 2020. If you're in the market for a like minded roommate in colorful San Francisco, try checking out our current listings today!
- Business Insider, Rapier, G., "San Francisco rents are plunging to the lowest levels in 6 years, even as the US housing market stages a comeback". (September 2020). URL: https://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-rent-prices-plunge-overall-us-real-estate-recovering-2020-9
- CBS Local, Fehely, D. "In Bay Area's COVID-19 Rental Market Renters Suddenly Have More Negotiating Power". (August, 2020). URL: https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/08/03/in-bay-areas-covid-19-rental-market-renters-suddenly-have-more-negotiating-power/
- Gallup, Newport, F. Gates, G.J, "San Francisco Metro Area Ranks Highest in LGBT Percentage", (March, 2015), URL: https://news.gallup.com/poll/182051/san-francisco-metro-area-ranks-highest-lgbt-percentage.aspx?utm_source=Social%20Issues&utm_medium=newsfeed&utm_campaign=tiles
- Nerd Wallet, Miller, C. "The Top LGBT-Friendly Cities in the U.S.", (May, 2015). URL: https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/mortgages/top-lgbt-friendly-cities-2015/
- Time, Bajekal, N., "The 10 cities with the highest LGBT percentages in the U.S." (March, 2015.) URL: https://time.com/3752220/lgbt-san-francisco/